Newcastle residents could be told to recycle fewer items

“Confused” residents could be told to recycle fewer items after costing council bosses £500,000 by putting the wrong kind of rubbish in their bins.

Newcastle rubbish and recycling bins – Photo courtesy BBC News Tyne & Wear/ Google

BBC News Tyne & Wear has reported the following story:

“Newcastle City Council said it was considering limiting its efforts to a small number of items that are “very clearly able to be recycled”.

The local authority must cover the cost of removing the wrong type of rubbish, such as nappies or food waste.

Contamination can also result in recycling being sent to landfill.

Nick Kemp, cabinet member for the environment, told a scrutiny panel meeting on Thursday: “It is quite a complicated area for something that should be very simple. We are looking at a revised strategy.

“We are looking at potentially identifying a smaller number of items that are very clearly able to be recycled.

“It may mean that more items that could be recycled actually go to landfill, but there would be less contamination.”

In March it was revealed contamination issues cost the authority half a million pounds in 2017/18.”

The above news item was reported on 26 October 2018 by BBC News Tyne & Wear and you can read the story on their website.

See also our earlier news story on Newcastle City Council waste strategy consultation

Newcastle waste strategy consultation

Newcastle City Council wants to hear residents views about waste.

The council wishes to gather the views of residents, businesses and stakeholders on how we manage waste in Newcastle.

The following announcement has been made by Newcastle City Council:

“Having asked for residents’ and businesses’ views on our proposed priorities for the Newcastle upon Tyne Waste Strategy in the first stage of our consultation, in this next stage we want to get people’s views about the specific actions we are thinking of taking to ensure that the Waste Strategy Action Plan will deliver the outcomes we want.

The Waste Strategy is being developed based on several key areas:

  • Behaviour change and education
  • Enforcement
  • Food waste
  • Markets and technology
  • Operations and planning
  • Partnerships, public and private
  • Recovering value from waste
  • Recycling and composting
  • Waste prevention, including reuse


To help us ensure we meet our outcomes, we want your views on the actions we are thinking of taking to achieve our goals for each of these key areas. You can find out more about this here: Newcastle Waste Strategy Consultation Stage 2 Information 2018

Please give us your views by taking part in our online survey, before 31 October 2018.”

The above news story was issued by Newcastle City Council and included on the Newcastle City Council website. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association. 

1967 – A back lane in High West Jesmond

Work in progress, a back lane in High West Jesmond, Newcastle upon Tyne, 1967

A heritage posting from Chris Morgan

Cones had still to be discovered. Red oil lamps were almost as common.

At this time many houses still had coal fires and most had two trap doors penetrating the brickwork into the lane. One was a small wooden door, higher than those shown here.

The coal men would unload hundredweight (about 50 kilos) bags of coal through the doors into the coal shed behind. The coal men carried the bags on their backs with ease.

By the time of this picture most of the trap doors had been bricked up and the coalmen would walk into the yard before tipping the sacks into the shed.

Nothing would be delivered on a Monday as that was washing day with all the family washing hung on lines criss-crossing the lanes.

The two openings showing here were large metal bins that tilted outwards. They were an innovation from the time the houses were built in the 1905-10 period and were designed to empty into a refuse cart in the lane. I never saw them used like that in my time, from 40 years later.

Originally the waste was mostly ash from the coal fires. Shopping came wrapped in paper bags or cardboard that went on the fire. There’d be a few tins, but most bottles had a returnable deposit paid at the shop that sold them.

Then we had dustbins that made good big wickets when we played back lane cricket – over the wall is 6 and out!

Last time I looked down the lanes I noted there were still a very few of these little doors that hadn’t been bricked up.

Darker Nights – Newcastle City Council

With the clocks going back and the nights drawing in Newcastle City Council has announced preparations  to ensure Newcastle’s communities are a safe place to be over the winter months.

The Darker Nights campaign will see the City Council and Your Homes Newcastle (YHN), the organisation responsible for managing its council homes, working together with other partners including Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service, Northumbria Police, the North East Ambulance Service (NEAS) and Trading Standards to help minimise the risks caused by illegal bonfires, fireworks and anti-social behaviour.

The Darker Nights campaign will be active in the communities of Newcastle throughout the autumn, winter and spring seasons.

Northumbria Police are launching their own proactive operation to address the different crimes that come with the darker months.

In the build-up to Bonfire Night, staff from both YHN and Newcastle City Council are surveying the fly-tipping hot-spots and removing any combustible waste with the council’s enforcement team prosecuting anyone found fly-tipping in the city.

The teams will be clearing away piles of waste that could be used for illegal bonfires and advising residents of how best to dispose of bulky materials that are building up in and round their homes.

Items like sofas and mattresses when set alight can emit poisonous fumes that may be harmful if inhaled.

Over the past two years similar community clean-up programmes have removed 43 tonnes (in 2016) and 70 tonnes (in 2015) of combustible waste from the streets of Newcastle in three days of intensive enforcement campaign.

Cllr Nick Kemp, Cabinet Member responsible for Neighbourhoods and Regulatory Services and also Chair of Safe Newcastle, said: “The aim of the Darker Nights campaign is to help protect the residents and businesses of Newcastle from anti-social behaviour that could cause people distress or even lead to loss of life. We are helping to raise awareness about the dangers of people creating and igniting illegal bonfires from discarded household materials. The campaign also looks at firework safety that will keep people safe from harm.

“The messages aren’t solely attached to Bonfire Night, as we want residents to be careful and vigilant throughout the darker night season during autumn, winter and spring. We are working with our partners to help create a safer Newcastle.”

The issue of illegal bonfires and anti-social behaviour seem to walk hand-in-hand, and, as part of the Darker Nights campaign, an education programme has been set up to try and help educate repeat offenders in association with Newcastle Youth Offending Team (YOTs).

YHN, Newcastle City Council and their partners would advise residents to always use licensed waste collection companies and attend professionally organised bonfires and firework displays.

The City Council would remind businesses and residents that Bonfire night is not an opportunity to get rid of rubbish and people can be prosecuted for doing so – the fine is unlimited and the maximum penalty is 5 years jail.

The above news release was issued by Newcastle City Council and included on the Newcastle City Council website. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association.

Communal bins rubbish in Byker

Communal bin issues mount up in Byker, Newcastle upon Tyne

You will read elsewhere on this website the reasons why High West Jesmond Residents’ Association is opposed to the introduction of communal bins in our part of Newcastle and one of the reasons is that there is the potential for the rubbish to pile up – especially as the bins are only emptied once a fortnight.

There has been much discussion on our Facebook page on the subject of communal bins and here we show some recent images from Michael Milor of the impact of rubbish and communal bins elsewhere in Newcastle upon Tyne.

You can read more about this in the Facebook posting by Michael Milor.

 

Council to replace 1,200 litter bins with 800 new ones

New litter bins for High West Jesmond

After a recent review of citywide litter bins, Newcastle City Council has announced a planned 13-week programme to replace existing bins.

The review was aimed at identifying ways of improving the current litter storage and collection service across the city.

Newcastle presently has just over 2,100 litter bins and the council review highlighted areas where bins were in disrepair, being under used by the public, or were too small to meet demand.

The change in litter bins will impact High west Jesmond with some bins being replaced with larger bins; some resited; and some potentially fully removed.

800 less litter bins

The amount of bins will be reduced to 800 but the the council says that total capacity for holding litter will only fall by approximately 450 litres as the new stock of bins will be bigger in size.  

The council review also identified that in some areas street bins were being misused by traders and householders, who were using them for business and residential purposes. The new bins will initially be emptied weekly but the volume of waste will be monitored on a regular basis.

The city council also delivers the ‘Keep it Clean’ campaign, which is aimed at encouraging behavioural change amongst people who litter, fly-tip and don’t pick up after their pets in Newcastle. 

Cllr Nick Kemp, Newcastle City Council cabinet member for Neighbourhoods and Regulatory Services, (pictured above) said: “The new bins will be an asset to the city as the council tries to tackle the litter problem throughout Newcastle. The positioning and locations have been specially chosen using the knowledge gathered from our dedicated collection team – who recognise the litter hotspot areas.

“The new scheme of robust and solid bins makes it a far more effective collection service. The new bins will be located in areas where the most litter is generated, and are larger than the previous street litter bins. All of the efficiency changes are in line with the council’s green city agenda. 

“The review was aimed at providing answers to questions that will help us deliver a better service for residents. This coupled with our continued enforcement campaign that looks to deter people from dropping litter in the first place, and penalise those people who don’t care about the community in which they live or visit.”

The old citywide bins, once removed, will be recycled and reused.

For further information about the council’s ‘Keep it Clean’ campaign, please visit newcastle.gov.uk/keepitclean​​​​​​​

Photograph from Newcastle City Council website.