Overnight curfew introduced on e-scooter trial

Changes to Newcastle’s e-scooter trial have been introduced in response to initial feedback.

The following news release was issued by Newcastle City Council:

Newcastle City Council, in partnership with operator Neuron Mobility, are putting in place the new measures, which includes an overnight curfew on e-scooter use.

Since launching earlier in February, the trial has been overwhelmingly popular, with more than 5,000 people completing over 30,000 miles worth of journeys with hundreds of these NHS and other key workers. The vast majority of people have behaved safely and responsibly. However as with any new trial there has been a small proportion of people not following the rules and Neuron and the city council have been keen to adapt the programme quickly to address this.

The laws governing their use include anyone wanting to hire a scooter must hold a provisional or full driving licence and comply with the highway code.

Steps already taken to improve the integration of the e-scooters in the city have included the introduction of a city-wide curfew between 11pm and 5am throughout the duration of the lockdown in the city to ensure that journeys are limited to essential trips in working hours. 

Since introducing the curfew on Thursday 25 February, it has had an immediate impact, with reports of irresponsible riding significantly reduced. In addition, geofenced slow zones and no-go zones, and no-parking zones are being reviewed based on feedback and will be implemented continually during the trial.

Cllr Arlene Ainsley, cabinet member for transport and air quality at Newcastle City Council said: “We are listening to feedback from the police and local communities and are working closely with Neuron to quickly address issues where they arise.

“We have to remember that this trial is not even two weeks old, but despite that we’ve been able to use the data and feedback to make some changes already. This includes a response to some instances of e-scooters being used inappropriately and in some cases users have been banned from the service.

“E-scooters are a form of transport, currently for essential journeys only while lockdown restrictions are in place, and this trial is looking at whether they might offer a safe and environmentally-friendly alternative to travelling by car.

“It’s vital that people use the e-scooters properly and in line with the riding rules that all users agree to when they sign up. The consequences of not doing so are potentially very serious.”

George Symes, UK Expansion Manager at Neuron said: “We’re really encouraged by the overall reaction since launching in Newcastle, especially with the really strong uptake of the e-scooters from NHS and other key workers, hundreds of whom have signed up for free passes to help them get to work in a way that’s socially distanced. 

“In the first weeks of any new trial it’s key to evaluate how e-scooters are being used then quickly adapt to iron out any problems and make the service better. We are working closely with Newcastle City Council to address some of the initial feedback we’ve received from important groups in the city.  Since introducing the 11pm – 5am curfew we’ve already seen a significant drop in the number of reported incidents and we’ll keep adapting the service further to make sure e-scooters are integrated into Newcastle in the best, and safest, possible way.”

Northumbria Police are also urging riders to act responsibly, warning people risk being prosecuted and losing their driving licences and being banned from the roads if they fail to abide by the law.

The call comes after reports relating to their inappropriate use and a small number of people having been charged with driving while over the legal alcohol limit.

Chief Inspector Alan Pitchford, from Northumbria Police, said:It is important that riders act responsibly, abide by the law and ultimately don’t put themselves or others in danger.

“Unfortunately, there have been instances where it has been necessary for officers to intervene and take action.

“We would ask all users to follow the rules and laws in place, which are there for the safety of everyone, and that they fully understand the potential consequences of not doing so. 

“We would also like to take this opportunity to remind people that under the current Government Covid-19 restrictions people should only be making essential journeys.”

Jo Bullock, executive head of awareness and education at the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA), which is partnering with Neuron on a safety course for e-scooter riders, said: “We see micromobility as an important part of the transport mix going forwards, and we launched our partnership with Neuron because of the company’s core focus on safety. We are pleased to see that Neuron is taking steps to make the trial in Newcastle a success.
 
“Ultimately, it is every rider’s responsibility to ride safely and follow the rules. All riders should make sure they look out for their own safety and also the safety of others. Don’t ride under the influence of alcohol, only one person should ride an e-scooter at a time, stay aware, and always wear a helmet.”

Important Riding Rules and Safety Guidelines:

  • Riders must be 18 years old and above
  • Must have provisional or full driving license
  • No riding on pavements
  • Helmets should be worn, every Neuron e-scooter has one
  • Be aware and remove earphones
  • One rider per e-scooter
  • Keep a safe distance from pedestrians
  • Do not ride under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Keep both hands on the handlebars
  • Park responsibly and don’t cause an obstruction

Further information regarding the safe and responsible use of e-scooters can be found at https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/our-city/transport-improvements/transport-… 

The above news story was issued by Newcastle City Council and is available to read on the Newcastle City Council website. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association. 

Bridge closure consultation period ends soon

The six-month public consultation closes on 15 February 2021.

Bridges closed included nearby Stoneyhurst Bridge, Castle Farm Road, Salters Bridge and Haldane Bridge.

The following news release was issued by Newcastle City Council:

Newcastle City Council closed five local bridges to vehicles in August as part of its response to the pandemic in order to aid social distancing as well as meeting the demand from residents for better walking and cycling facilities.

The bridges include:

  • Salters Bridge, Parklands ward
  • Castle Farm Road, Dene and South Gosforth
  • Haldane Bridge, South Jesmond
  • Argyle Street Bridge, Ouseburn
  • Stoneyhurst Bridge, Dene and South Gosforth

To date, over 9,000 comments have been made, with Salters Bridge in Gosforth generating the most comments.

All bridges are key routes for people walking or cycling to local schools or amenities but enable traffic to cut through residential streets rather than using more appropriate routes.

By closing the routes to unnecessary traffic, the council re-allocated the road space for people walking and cycling, creating safer, cleaner, and greener neighbourhoods.

Cllr Arlene Ainsley, cabinet member for transport and air quality said: “This programme of closures is more than just stopping traffic from cutting through local streets, it’s about all the environmental, safety, health and wellbeing improvements that come with it.

“By making small changes to our infrastructure, we can make big changes in how people move around their local area – whether it’s walking more to increase your daily steps, reducing your carbon footprint, getting to school safely, or just enjoying fresh air in your local neighbourhood as part of your daily exercise.

“People who need to drive on local journeys, can still drive, but there are more safe options for people who want to walk or cycle more.

“We will closely review all of the comments received alongside data we’ve been collecting, as well as feedback from statutory consultees which include emergency services, so please ensure you have your say.”

The consultation closes on 15 February.

The bridge closures will remain in place while the council conducts a review of the public consultation, as well as considering other factors such as traffic levels on surrounding streets, air quality, traffic speeds, how many people have been using the bridges for walking and cycling, air quality where monitors are in place, responses to the legal orders and feedback from statutory consultees, including blue light services, before making a final decision within the coming months.

People are invited to have their say at https://safenewcastlebridges.commonplace.is/ by 15 February 2021.

The above news story was issued by Newcastle City Council and is available to read on the Newcastle City Council website. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association. 

Stay home, Protect the NHS, Save lives

Information available

For the latest information from the NHS and the UK Government please visit:

NHS – nhs.uk/coronavirus

GOV – gov.uk/coronavirus

Statement issued

A statement has been issued from the leaders of the LA7 local authorities, the Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner, and the North of Tyne Mayor.

The following news release was issued by Newcastle City Council:

“The Prime Minister has rightly imposed a national lockdown in England, meaning we must all now stay at home except for essential reasons.

“It was vital decisive action was taken to regain control of infection rates that have been soaring across the nation, including in our own region, in recent weeks.

“We know this will come as a disappointment to our communities who have already given so much during the pandemic, but it was a step the Government simply had to take.

“We are all too aware of the mental and physical difficulties a lockdown brings, with people unable to see loved ones or do most of the activities they enjoy doing, and none of us wish to see schools closed.

“But the health of residents is the absolute priority for all of us, and we are now in a position where we can take action, prevent the NHS from becoming completely overwhelmed, and save lives.

“The regulations are clear. Stay at home unless it is absolutely necessary to do so. You can go to work if you cannot do so from home; you can shop for essentials; you can exercise; seek medical attention; escape domestic abuse; attend educational and childcare settings for those eligible; and a few other exceptional circumstances.

“Otherwise, staying at home and avoiding all contact with those outside your household or support bubble will deny this virus the opportunity to spread further. This is key if we are to prevent countless more deaths while the vaccination programme continues in earnest.

“We have argued for more support for local businesses and this morning’s announcement from the Chancellor regarding grants is welcome. But some businesses have fallen through the gaps since March, and still need additional support. We will monitor what other support our communities and businesses require.”

“Similarly, there will be many out there who require support once again during this lockdown, and we will continue to provide welfare support as we have throughout the pandemic. We will also work with the Government to ensure the necessary equipment is available to children for online learning and support our communities wherever possible.

“Hope is, however, on the horizon. Unlike when we first entered lockdown in March, we now have a weapon to fight back. The Government has set out timescales for quickly vaccinating the most vulnerable, as well as health and social care workers, and we sincerely hope this will permit the return of some freedoms when the time is right. We will be working closely with our colleagues in the NHS to support the rollout but for now, we have to play our part while the virus continues to spread.

“Please, stay at home, protect the NHS, and save lives. Thank You.”

Cllr Simon Henig, CBE, Leader, Durham County Council  
Cllr Martin Gannon, Leader, Gateshead Council  
Cllr Nick Forbes, CBE, Leader, Newcastle City Council  
Norma Redfearn CBE, Elected Mayor, North Tyneside Council  
Cllr Glen Sanderson, Leader, Northumberland County Council  
Cllr Tracey Dixon, Leader, South Tyneside Council  
Cllr Graeme Miller, Leader, Sunderland City Council  
Jamie Driscoll, North of Tyne Mayor  
Kim McGuinness, Northumbria Police and Crime Commissioner  

The above news story was issued by Newcastle City Council and is available to read on the Newcastle City Council website. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association. 

Council closes Stoneyhurst Road Bridge and Castle Farm Bridge

Newcastle City Council has announced plans to close several bridges to vehicles.

This includes Stoneyhurst Road Bridge and Castle Farm Bridge in the Dene and South Gosforth ward of the city.

Experimental traffic regulation orders

Newcastle City Council is using experimental traffic regulation orders to close the bridges to vehicles and this will be operational from 13 August 2020.

The bridges will remain open to people on foot and on bikes.

Under an experimental traffic regulation order, the first six months of the closure is for public consultation.

Newcastle City Council has stated that during this six month period people can leave feedback and comments on the closure and these will be considered before a final decision is made.

Information on Council website

You can visit the Newcastle City Council website to find out more.  Details are at https://safenewcastlebridges.commonplace.is/

Objections to permanent closure

If you wish to object to a permanement closure you can send your objection by 15 February 2021 to:

Newcastle Parking Services
PO Box 2BL
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE99 2BL

or email to traffic.notices@newcastle.gov.uk

Newcastle City Council news release

The following news release was issued by Newcastle City Council:

Many of the bridges selected are used by inappropriate levels of traffic for small structures, using the bridges to cut through residential streets. By restricting traffic, the council will also meet the rising demand for better walking and cycling in local neighbourhoods.

The bridges include: 
•    Salters Bridge, Parklands
•    Dene Bridge, Castle Farm Road, Dene and South Gosforth 
•    Haldane Bridge, South Jesmond 
•    Argyle Street Bridge, Ouseburn 
•    Stoneyhurst Bridge, Dene and South Gosforth 

A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “Road transport is responsible for a third of our city’s carbon emissions and is the main reason for poor air quality. By restricting traffic in these areas we believe it will help create safer, cleaner and greener neighbourhoods and encourage more walking and cycling which has huge environmental and health benefits for everyone. 

“We’re listening to the public which is why we have a six-month public consultation where people can tell us their views. This will inform whether or not we make the closures permanent. We encourage everyone to engage with us constructively both on these changes, and others we will be bringing forward across the city.”

Initially concrete blocks will be in place on 13 August, but over the coming days and weeks these will be replaced with other materials.

Using Experimental Traffic Regulation Orders, the council has the legal powers to close the bridges to vehicles from 13 August. Statutory consultation has taken place with authorities such as emergency services and the legal orders have been put in place. 

Public consultation period will take place for the first six months when the closures are in place. During this time, residents can leave feedback and comments on the closure, and these will be considered before a final decision is made on whether to make the changes permanent. 

To take part in the consultation  please go to https://safenewcastlebridges.commonplace.is/ 

The above news story was issued by Newcastle City Council and is available to read on the Newcastle City Council website. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association. 

Coronavirus (COVID-19) – what you need to do

COVID-19 is a new illness that can affect your lungs and airways. It’s caused by a virus called coronavirus.

The following information has been made available by the UK Government:

6 steps animation – 22 March 2020

Watch the 6 steps animation on the Department for Health & Social Care’s Twitter channel.

NHS information about COVID-19 (coronavirus)

Dr Nam Nguyen is a GP and the clinical lead for the NHS website.

In this short video from the YouTube NHS channel he shares information about coronavirus (COVID-19) symptoms, when you will need to stay at home and importantly, how long for.

Visit the NHS website for up to date information: www.nhs.uk/coronavirus

 

Information available

For the latest information from the NHS and the UK Government please visit:

NHS – nhs.uk/coronavirus

GOV – gov.uk/coronavirus

Newcastle City Council information

You can also read the latest information fron Newcastle City Council here:

newcastle.gov.uk/coronavirus

Remember the key messages

 

 

Recycling tips from the Council Waste Services Department

 
 

Message from the Council Waste Services Department

The following announcement has been made by Newcastle City Council’s Waste Services Department:
 

In order to improve recycling levels, it is important to separate glass from other recyclable materials, and also to ensure that recycled waste is dry.

Ensure you have a caddy and working lid on your recycling bin

With this in mind, please ensure that your bin has a caddy and a working lid.

Replacement caddies and bin repairs are free and can be arranged by contacting Envirocall online at https://envirocall.newcastle.gov.uk/ or by telephone at 0191 278 7878

Residents are encouraged to put house numbers on their bins and caddies to aid identification

Don’t leave bins in back lanes

Residents are encouraged to bring bins in as soon as possible after collection to improve access in rear lanes and keep the area tidy

The bin collection calendar is distributed twice a year and is available to view at www.newcastle.gov.uk/bin

You can read more about recycling, rubbish and waste at www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/environment-and-waste/recycling-rubbish-and-waste

The above news story was issued by Newcastle City Council. It has been included here for information and does not necessarily represent the views of High West Jesmond Residents’ Association.